Yesterday I participated in the muscle up clinic that John/Glen hosted at CRAIC. I have been working on muscle up progressions for a long time, ever since I got one months and months ago and haven’t got one since! For a while I was focusing on kipping swing and non-false grip, however now John has me again working on false grip progressions with band and assist. Well, it is paying off! Last night I was able to do a muscle up three times – woohoo! Full disclosure: if a competition-grade muscle up is “Rx” then the muscle up I am currently able to do is Intermediate, because I’m not able to start with full elbow extension. Regardless, I am really happy that the transition up on the rings is starting to make more sense to my body. I still need to drill this and then continue to practice getting the full muscle up, including elbow extension at the bottom.
Today was back at Craic – I think my 5th or 6th day straight of training? I plan on making tomorrow a rest day, maybe some mobility and skill, and then I’ll be in VT from Friday to Sunday so I am not sure what kind of workouts I’ll get in, but I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot of hiking/functional movement. Anyway, here is what I did today.
1. Hang Snatch 5×2 @ 80#. I was power hang snatching some of them but really with time was focusing on getting under the bar. “Stay back” is such an all-inclusive cue for me.
2. Power Clean and Jerk 4×1 – I used 120#. These felt very solid today. Technique was on and the weight felt pretty light accordingly.
3. OHS 5×1 – I used 115lbs. The squat itself was not too heavy but any more on the jerk I was struggling with today.
4. EMOM x 10: 1 Snatch at 85#/20 double unders. I missed one but re-did it. All but one set of double unders unbroken. I was supposed to do this with 95lbs but I was failing this in my warm up so I switched to a lighter weight and was able to get better reps in. I did attempt a few 95lbs after but was pressing out telling me I wasn’t getting under fast enough.
5. EMOM x 10 – 5 toes to bar. I had to break up most of them but was really focusing on the technique and leg swing.
I spent about five minutes today working on muscle up progressions and will try to get some more in before I leave. My arms are sore from yesterday! I want to focus on increasing my tolerance to hanging on the rings with false grip.
I thought I’d make a note about eating since I haven’t in a while. My breakfast has been bacon and eggs a lot recently! I’ve been doing no fruit easily enough, though I did have some pineapple in my Hawaiian Hunter Gatherer omelette from Salem Foods yesterday. My newest obsession is roasted eggplant. I will literally eat a whole one all by myself! So delicious. I realize I haven’t steamed veggies in forever…maybe I’ll try that tonight :-)